Sunday, July 4, 2010

Remembering Mauthausen



I visited the Mauthausen Concentration Camp a while ago and it is was an experience that will stand out from my summer in Austria. I didn't realize it before I went, but Mauthausen is an actual town in northern Austria. The whole town is very eery and there was a definite "cloudy" feeling the moment we stepped off the train onto the platform. After a while, we finally made it up to the camp and hardly anyone else was there. ( I say after a while because we first tried to walk and that didn't work because Mauthausen isn't really on the city map and the rail station worker wasn't too excited to give us directions.) We spent the entire afternoon wandering with our audio guides and all I could think the entire time was "...I know this happened, but oh my goodness this really happened...." Visiting Mauthausen was very surreal--May we never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment