Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Living Art

Visiting the Museum of Art was such a peaceful experience. Every time I walk in a museum or a gallery I feel so cultured, refined, sophisticated, and connected with myself—last week was no exception.

The most intriguing part of the exhibit was the opening resin creation by Franz M. Johansen, The Rod and the Veil. I really opened my eyes for how close the spirit world is. To me, the higher figure was clothed in the veil. He seemed to be uncovering the rod bit by bit for the mortal coming up beside him. He is close by, yet allowing our agency. The cloth veil showed me what a thin existence separates us from eternity. Life is so fragile.

One of my favorite paintings was entitled Daily Bread by Lee Bennion. The main focus of the painting is a housewife adorned with a traditional apron. Her outstretched hands clutch the apron corners and hold up a loaf of bread. She wears a somber expression and stands in front of a window with geraniums growing up in the background. The predominant colors are red, yellow, and blue.
Bennion’s painting came across to me as a child’s artwork taped to the already plastered fridge would. Innocent. In the gallery of life-like images and towering figurines, this piece seemed so mortal to me which allowed me to connect to the piece. It reminded me of the Neal A Maxwell quote of “members working out their own salvation.” The woman’s offering seems so whole and complete to me because her outstretched hands seem to be holding nothing back. In mortality she is recognizing her divine nature (bread is typically a feminine task). She is sacrificing everything, including her will, for the Father.

“Daily Bread” really summarized the entire exhibit for me in one word—home. All of the paintings taught me lessons of how to return to my heavenly home. I felt the love of my Heavenly Father throughout the entire exhibit. I know my meager mortal offering, my daily bread, will somehow be sufficient through Christ’s atonement.
The exhibit made me wonder how many of the artists were LDS. The fact that many were not (those in earlier centuries) reinforces the fact that there is SOME truth in all religion. While the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has the entire restored gospel, it is wonderful to realize that others really have some sense of God. All of us have an inner longing to return “home.” The Museum exhibit presented so many things that are familiar to us because they are part of the plan which we learned of in the pre-existence. On a more serious note, I came to a better understanding of how crucial gospel ordinances are and the importance of missionary work while on the earth.

I cannot wait to go back to the exhibit this week and see all of the pieces. Seeing truths of the gospel in art presents so many new peaceful perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment